10 Warning Signs of Prescription Drug Abuse

Tags :

84% of people reading this will not find the the mistake in this: A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z. Are you in the other 16%? Find out the answer here.

Unfortunately, the majority of parents also cannot see warning signs of prescription drug abuse in their child. If your kids have not already been offered the opportunity to get high on prescriptions that friends offer them, they soon will. It’s cliché, but true. Good parenting is the best anti-drug program going. Be aware of your children’s friends, their friends’ parents, and any significant behavioral changes. Above all, love, listen, and encourage.

Here are the 10 warning signs of prescription drug abuse:

1. Easy Access

Prescription drugs have flooded the market in recent years. There is a pill for just about anything you can think of. Due to easy access, studies show that today’s teens are increasingly experimenting with these drugs. It is important to keep your prescribed medication in a safe location. Know exactly what and how much you have in your home at all times. Keep a tight inventory. If you notice levels mysteriously dropping, get to the bottom of it immediately.

2. Past History

A family history of substance or alcohol abuse is a possible indicator of future issues. Your child may be more prone to drug use and addiction. Always keep the communication lines open. Talk with your child frequently and honestly. Watch for changes in personality and attitude.

3. Low Self-Respect

This is a warning sign for many serious issues. Low self-confidence can make a child vulnerable to peer-pressure and the wrong crowd. In an effort to fit in or “be cool” they can fall into many different traps. Take immediate steps to improve the self-image of your child.

4. Rebellion

A person addicted or abusing drugs can display aggressive and rebellious attitude towards authority figures. If his demeanor has radically changed for the worse, that is a major indicator of trouble.

5. Difficulty Sleeping

Most children have boundless amounts of energy. Drug abuse, however, creates difficulty sleeping which leads to sluggish and constant tiredness. Prescription drugs particularly affect the brain and often cause wild dreams and even hallucinations. This “active” sleep does not allow the body to properly rest. If your child is overly sleepy, there is a reason that you need to uncover.

6. Depression

Drug addiction always leads to depression. There are both physical and psychological reasons for this. Chemical reactions in the brain. Guilt. Feelings of emptiness. Hopelessness. Children displaying symptoms of depression need professional assistance. Ignoring the signs can lead to tragedy.

7. Appearance

Your child becomes slack in her personal hygiene. She quickly loses noticeable amounts of weight. Vast changes in appearance are easy warning signs of addiction. Constant red or runny nose. Glazed eyes. A persistent cough. These are all possible indicators of drug abuse.

8. Confusion

Not being able to remember events that have taken place. Common blackouts. Appearing confused and dazed. Clear signs of drug abuse and require immediate attention.

9. Anger

Your once sweet girl or boy suddenly seems angry and defensive all the time. Simple questions and requests are met with out of line lashing out. Prescription drugs can cause wild mood swings. If the drama has taken a major turn for the worse, then something is certainly up.

10. Secretive

Locked doors. Locked drawers. A child abusing drugs will attempt to hide it the best they can. They will become closed to conversation and interaction. When confronted, they will deny and rationalize. Privacy is a privilege at home and not a right. As a parent, if you suspect the worst, you should not hesitate to investigate behind those locked doors.

Subscribe to the Play of the Day for daily advice, videos and updates on how to be better dad.

Do you know of kids in your school that get high on prescription drugs? Why do you think they do that?

foster and adoption
Did You Get It?
Every Man's Bible
Florida Prepaid