20 Ideas for Your Bucket List
Priscilla Presley once said of Elvis’ mid-life crisis, “It was more that his career was going down again and he was tired of the songs. He was tired of the routine. And there was a point where he just kind of gave up. He couldn’t face being 40. And he resorted to stimulants. There’s a dark side there, a really dark side.”
All of us contemplate having more road behind us than in front of us. If you’re over 40, consider creating a list of meaningful things you should accomplish before you die.
Come up with a “bucket list” – things you’d like to accomplish before you die. Here are a few examples and share some of your own with us below:
1. Tell my kids every day that I love them.
2. Tell my wife every day that I love her.
3. Quit worrying so much about money and status.
4. Have a plan to be completely debt-free, mortgage included, by age 50.
5. Watch less TV. Read more.
6. Do my last will and testament.
7. Do an annual physical.
8. Make sure my kids leave college debt-free.
9. Embrace the fact of impending death and use this to motivate right living.
10. Eliminate time bandits – unimportant activities that take up my schedule.
11. Utilize car time to really talk with my kids.
12. Have a blessing ceremony when my son and daughter turn 13.
13. Do one romantic thing a month for my wife.
14. Take more home movies and preserve them.
15. Honor the memory of my parents. Tell my kids stories about them.
16. Eat dinner together as a family at least 4 times a week.
17. Speak less. Listen more.
18. Mentor the younger. Encourage the older.
19. Love and help the fatherless.
20. Prioritize my relationship with God.
© 2012 All Pro Dad. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks.