Carrying a sixty pound backpack in Colorado’s rocky wilderness is hard. If you are used to breathing air at sea level, the high altitude makes it even more physically grueling. When our guides stopped and surveyed the land with a puzzled look, my heart sank. Something was wrong. We should have come to a creek which would confirm we were on the right track. But it wasn’t there. We had taken a wrong turn. Eventually we backtracked and found the correct path and the creek.
As fathers we can sometimes feel lost. We can have self-doubt about how we are doing as dads. While we will never be perfect this side of heaven, if you practice the following 10 things consistently you’ll know you are on the right track to being a good father. You will know you are setting the example your children need.
- When you help your kids with their schoolwork.
- When you take an interest in their hobbies.
- When you show affection to your wife in front of them.
- When you advocate that they speak to you and each other respectfully.
- When you just enjoy being with your children and they with you.
- When your son or daughter comes running to you when they get hurt.
- When your calendar is full of things to do with your children.
- When you calmly and gently discipline your children without yelling or screaming.
- When you tuck your children into bed at night and tell them: “I love you”.
- When you know their friends by first name.
Huddle Up Question
Huddle up with your kids and ask, “How can I do better as a dad?”