warning sign

10 Signs Your Teen is Using Drugs

84% of people reading this will not find the the mistake in this: A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z. Are you in the other 16%? The answer will be at the end of the article.

Unfortunately, the majority of parents will also miss a warning sign right in front of their face that their kid is abusing prescription drugs. If your kids have not already been offered the opportunity to get high on prescriptions that friends offer them, they soon will. It’s cliché, but true. Good parenting is the best anti-drug program going. Be aware of your children’s friends, their friends’ parents, and any significant behavioral changes. Above all, love, listen, and encourage. Here are the 10 warning signs of prescription drug abuse.

1. Easy Access

Due to easy access, studies show that today’s teens are increasingly experimenting with these drugs. It is important to keep your prescribed medication in a safe location. Know exactly what and how much you have in your home at all times. Keep a tight inventory. If you notice levels mysteriously dropping, get to the bottom of it immediately.

2. Past History

A family history of substance or alcohol abuse is a possible indicator of future issues. Your child may be more prone to drug use and addiction. Always keep the communication lines open. Talk with your child frequently and honestly. Watch for changes in personality and attitude.

3. Low Self-Respect

This is a warning sign for many serious issues. Low self-confidence can make a child vulnerable to peer-pressure and the wrong crowd. In an effort to fit in or be cool they can fall into many different traps. Take immediate steps to improve the self-image of your child.

4. Rebellion

A person addicted or abusing drugs can display aggressive and rebellious attitude towards authority figures. If his demeanor has radically changed for the worse, that is a major indicator of trouble.

5. Difficulty Sleeping

Most children have boundless amounts of energy. Drug abuse, however, creates difficulty sleeping which leads to sluggishness and fatigue. Prescription drugs particularly affect the brain and often cause wild dreams and even hallucinations. This “active” sleep does not allow the body to properly rest. If your child is overly sleepy, there could be a reason that you need to uncover.

6. Depression

Drug addiction often leads to depression. There are both physical and psychological reasons for this. Chemical reactions in the brain may cause them to feel guilt, feelings of emptiness, and hopelessness. Children displaying symptoms of depression need professional help. Ignoring the signs can lead to tragedy.

7. Appearance

Vast changes in appearance are easy warning signs of addiction. Constant red or runny nose. Glazed eyes. A persistent cough. Your child becomes slack in her personal hygiene. She quickly loses noticeable amounts of weight. These are all possible indicators of drug abuse.

8. Confusion

Not being able to remember events that have taken place. Common blackouts. Appearing confused and dazed. Clear signs of drug abuse and require immediate attention.

9. Anger

Your once sweet girl or boy suddenly seems angry and defensive all the time. Simple questions and requests are met with lashing out. Prescription drugs can cause wild mood swings. If the drama has taken a major turn for the worse, then something is certainly up.

10. Secretive

Above all, love, listen, and encourage.Locked doors. Locked drawers. A child abusing drugs will attempt to hide it the best they can. They will become closed to conversation and interaction. When confronted, they will deny and rationalize. Privacy is a privilege at home and not a right. As a parent, if you suspect the worst, you should not hesitate to investigate behind those locked doors.


The answer to the riddle: The word “the” is written twice before the word mistake.

Huddle up with your kids and ask, “Why do you think people do drugs and what do you think are some of the consequences?”