The colorful characters of football, the wild intensity of the head coaches, the funny bounces, the heartbreak and the exuberant elation of victory, have produced a treasured vault of wit and wisdom throughout the years. Football entertains, inspires, and teaches us. The people who make up the game translate what it’s like back to us the best they can in words. Here are 20 of our favorite quotes from the great sport of football.
1. “A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback – but not necessarily in that order.” [Tweet This!] – Bud Grant, head coach Minnesota Vikings
2. “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.” [Tweet This!] – Archie Griffin, 2-time Heisman Trophy Winner
3. “I can’t believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary.” [Tweet This!] – Lou Holtz, legendary football coach and national champion
4. “You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.” [Tweet This!] – Dan Birdwell, defensive tackle Oakland Raiders
5. “Our goal was to win, to win a Super Bowl, but also to win in the right way, to be role models to our community, to represent Indianapolis, the state of Indiana, and the National Football League.” – Tony Dungy, Super Bowl Winning Head Coach
6. “If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That’s all it takes to get people to win football games for you.” – Paul “Bear” Bryant, 6-time National Champion Head Coach of the University of Alabama
7. “Football is like life – It requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication, and respect for authority.” – Vince Lombardi, 2-time Super Bowl Winning Head Coach
8. “Football is an honest game. It’s true to life. It’s a game about sharing. Football is a team game. So is life.” [Tweet This!] – Joe Namath, Quarterback New York Jets and Super Bowl Winner
9. “Summing up my football career: I got into a few games after they were hopelessly won or hopelessly lost. You know, when they put the substitutes in, the water boy, and then me. That is the way it worked.” – Richard Nixon, President of the United States
10. “Football is a game played with arms, legs, and shoulders, but mostly from the neck up.” [Tweet This!] – Knute Rockne, legendary Head Coach University of Notre Dame
11. “I don’t know any other way to lead but by example.” [Tweet This!] – Don Shula, 2-time Super Bowl Winning Head Coach
12. “When you want to win a game, you have to teach. When you lose a game, you have to learn.” [Tweet This!] – Tom Landry, 2-time Super Bowl Winning Head Coach
13. “So what if we won ugly?” [Tweet This!] – Bill Cowher, Super Bowl Winning Head Coach
14. “I want to be remembered as the guy who gave his all whenever he was on the field.” [Tweet This!] – Walter Payton, Running Back Chicago Bears and Super Bowl Winner
15. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.” – Vince Lombardi, Hall-of-Fame Head Coach Green Bay Packers
16. “Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it.” [Tweet This!] – George Halas, player, coach, and owner Chicago Bears
17. “Confidence doesn’t come out of nowhere. It’s a result of something – hours and days and weeks and years of constant work and dedication.” – Roger Staubach, Quarterback Dallas Cowboys, and 2-time Super Bowl Winner
18. “Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” [Tweet This!] – Paul “Bear” Bryant, legendary Head Coach of the University of Alabama
19. “Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a person as if he were where he could be and should be, and he will become what he could be and should be.” – Jimmy Johnson, 2-time Super Bowl Winning Head Coach and College National Championship Winning Head Coach
20. “The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer.” [Tweet This!] – John Madden, Super Bowl Winning Head Coach and legendary football broadcaster
© 2013 All Pro Dad. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks.
Huddle Up Question
Huddle up with your kids tonight and share these quotes with them.