Carrying a 60-pound backpack in Colorado’s rocky wilderness is hard. If you are used to breathing air at sea level, the high altitude makes it even more physically grueling. When our guides stopped and surveyed the land with a puzzled look, my heart sank. Something was wrong. We should have come to a creek, which would confirm we were on the right track. But it wasn’t there. We had taken a wrong turn. Eventually, we backtracked and found the correct path and the creek.We will never be perfect, but by doing the right things, you are on the right track to being a good father.
As fathers, we sometimes can feel lost. We can have self-doubt about how we’re doing as dads. While we will never be perfect this side of heaven, if you do the right things consistently, you’ll know you are on the right track to being a good father. You will know you’re setting the example your children need. Here are 10 ways to know you are being a good father.
- You help your kids with their schoolwork.
- You take an interest in their hobbies.
- You show affection to your wife in front of them.
- You advocate that they speak to you and each other respectfully.
- You just enjoy being with your children and they enjoy being with you.
- Your son or daughter comes running to you when he or she gets hurt.
- Your calendar is full of things to do with your children.
- You calmly and gently discipline your children without yelling or screaming.
- You tuck your children into bed at night and tell them that you love them.
- You know their friends by their first name.
Sound off: What are some other things we can do to be good dads?
Huddle up with your kids and ask, “How can I do better as a dad?”