It was always a dream of mine to go to Alcatraz. Six years ago I was between jobs so I had some time on my hands. My wife is a flight attendant and my in-laws offered to take care of the kids if I wanted to go with her on one of her trips. She happened to be working a San Francisco trip that week. Since she had to work I went to Alcatraz alone, but when I saw the cost my heart sank. It seemed high for someone with no income at the time. That’s when a stranger walked through the crowd, stopped right in front of me and shouted, “Anyone want one ticket to Alcatraz?” “Um, I do,” I said. He gave me the ticket and disappeared into the crowd.
I looked at the ticket amazed at my fortune and then made eye contact with a park ranger. He must’ve seen have seen me agonizing over whether or not to buy a ticket. He said with a smile, “You get to go after all.” That day I got to cross something off of my bucket list and it was just as incredible as I thought it would be. What’s on your bucket list? Have you thought about it? Here are 20 bucket list ideas to help you get started.
1. Run a long race. Train for and run a marathon, half marathon, or Tough Mudder.
2. Stand on or at the top of a tall structure or landmark. Examples: The United States Capitol, The Eiffel Tower, The Empire State Building, The Great Wall of China.
3. Hike the Grand Canyon.
4. Visit an extraordinary piece of nature. Examples: Volcano, Mount Everest/K2/Kilimanjaro, Old faithful, The Redwoods.
5. Drive a convertible somewhere amazing. Examples: Through a desert or the Pacific Coast Highway.
6. Take a Cruise to some place exotic. Examples: Alaska or the Mediterranean Sea
7. Surf or scuba dive.
8. Challenge a fear. Example: If it’s heights go bungee jumping, rock climbing, high ropes course, or skydiving
9. Sit in the first 2 rows of a Broadway show.
10. Own property.
11. Pray for a country every day for a year and then visit it.
12. Befriend a person who holds opposing political views.
13. Watch a NASA rocket launch.
14. Watch a movie being made or a TV show being taped.
15. Visit every (something). Examples: Baseball stadiums or State Capitol buildings
16. Climb to the peak of a 14,000+ ft. mountain.
17. View a piece of art that changed history. Examples: The Sistine Chapel, The David, The Mona Lisa, Starry Night
18. Visit the site of a historic tragedy. Examples: 9/11 Ground Zero, Hiroshima, Dealy Plaza, The Lorraine Motel, Selma Bridge, Normandy Beach
19. Watch a case argued before the Supreme Court.
20. See the Northern Lights.
Sound off: What are some things you would add to this list?