A game that my dad taught me when I was young was chess. It was a great way to have fun with my dad while also sharpening my mind. Riddles are good for that, too. But brain teaser questions work in a lot of the same ways. They are a great way to stay mentally sharp and challenge yourself. Share these with your kids and you will have a fun time while also getting a brain workout.
1. 84% of people reading this will not find the the mistake in this A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z.
2. How can you throw a ball as hard as you can and have it come back to you, even if it doesn’t bounce off anything? There is nothing attached to it, and no one else catches or throws it back to you.
3. What occurs once in every minute, twice in every moment, yet never in a thousand years?
4. What’s full of holes but still holds water?
5. What flies without wings?
6. Where will you find roads without vehicles, forests without trees, and cities without houses?
7. What are two things you cannot eat for supper?
8. What word looks the same upside down and backward?
9. What five letter word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?
10. A boy was rushed to the hospital emergency room. The ER doctor saw the boy and said, “I cannot operate on this boy. He is my son.” But the doctor was not the boy’s father. How could that be?
11. What can you keep but cannot share and once you share it, you can’t keep it anymore?
12. You leave home and go to your right. You reach a corner and turn left. You reach another corner and turn left again. You reach another corner and turn left again and go home. When you get there, there is a person with a mask there waiting for you. What’s happening?
13. A man was outside taking a walk when it started to rain. The man didn’t have an umbrella and he wasn’t wearing a hat. His clothes got soaked, yet not a single hair on his head got wet. How could this happen?
14. Sam’s mother had 4 children in all. The first one was named May. The second and third were called June and July respectively. What was the fourth child’s name?
15. The more it dries, the wetter it gets. What is it?
16. Why can’t a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?
17. There is only one time in your life when you’re twice as old as your child. When is that?
18. What is greater than God, more evil than the devil, the poor have it, the rich need it, and if you eat it, you’ll die?
19. Who makes it, has no need of it. Who buys it, has no use for it. Who uses it can neither see nor feel it. What is it?
20. What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?
21. There was a green house. Inside the green house there was a white house. Inside the white house there was a red house. Inside the red house there were lots of babies. What is it?
22. What call for help, when written in capital letters, is the same forwards, backwards and upside down?
23. One family wants to get through a tunnel. Dad can make it in 1 minute, mom in 2 minutes, son in 4 and daughter in 5 minutes. No more than 2 persons can go through the tunnel at one time, moving at the speed of the slower one. Can they all make it to the other side if they have a torch that lasts only 12 minutes and they are afraid of the dark?
24. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain in the world?
25. A petri dish hosts a healthy colony of bacteria. Once a minute every bacterium divides into two. The colony was founded by a single cell at noon. At exactly 12:43 (43 minutes later) the petri dish was half full. At what time will the dish be completely full?
26. Which word in the dictionary is spelled incorrectly?
27. How many of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
Answer 1 – “The” is repeated.
Answer 2 – Throw the ball up in the air.
Answer 3 – The letter “M”.
Answer 4 – A sponge.
Answer 5 – Time.
Answer 6 –A map.
Answer 7 – Breakfast and Lunch.
Answer 8 – SWIMS.
Answer 9 – The word short.
Answer 10 –The doctor was his mom.
Answer 11 –A secret.
Answer 12 – You are playing baseball.
Answer 13 –The man was bald.
Answer 14 –Sam!
Answer 15 –A Towel.
Answer 16 –You cannot bury a living man.
Answer 17 –When your child reaches the age you were when he or she was born, you’ll stay “twice as old” until your next birthday.
Answer 18 – Nothing.
Answer 19 – A coffin.
Answer 20 – A stamp.
Answer 21 -A watermelon.
Answer 22 – SOS.
Answer 23 – First mom and dad – 2 minutes. Dad comes back – 3 minutes, both children go to mom – 8 minutes. Mom comes to dad – 10 minutes and they both get to their children – 12 minutes.
Answer 24 – Mount Everest was the tallest mountain even before it was discovered.
Answer 25 – The dish will be full at 12:44.
Answer 26 -Incorrectly.
Answer 27 -None. Moses wasn’t on the ark, Noah was.
Huddle Up Question
Huddle up with your kids and ask them one of these brain teasers.