Sometimes being a dad is just tough. I recently had a real talk with my 8-year-old son about a kid who was trying to bully him. I don’t know if my advice was the best, but I believe it opened the door for deeper conversations in the future.
You may be there, too. The time for a difficult conversation may be now. It could be the “birds and the bees” or it could be about hanging out with the wrong crew. Whatever it is, don’t shy away from it. Step up and have a real talk with your kids by using these great kid conversation starters:
- When are you (or have been) most afraid?
- What has been the happiest day of your life?
- If you could change one thing in the world what would you change?
- If you could change one thing about yourself what would you change?
- How long should a couple date before they get married?
- What does “being in love” mean?
- What is the most important thing in your life?
- What is the one thing you couldn’t live without?
- What is your favorite movie of all time? Why?
- What is your favorite book of all time? Why?
- What cartoon character would you most like to be?
- What is the hardest thing about being _____ years old?
- What is the best thing about being ______ years old?
- Describe your perfect day.
- What job would you never want to have?
- Who is your best friend? Why are they your best friend?
- Would you rather dive from a high cliff into the ocean or give a book report in front of 500 kids?
- What’s your favorite car and why?
- Who would you most like to meet?
- In what other country would you most like to live?
- What things don’t boys understand about girls?
- What things don’t girls understand about boys?
- What’s easier, math or English?
- How much TV should kids your age be allowed to watch each week?
- At what age should a child be allowed to see a PG-13 movie? An R movie?
- Why do you think people use curse words?
- When was the last time you cried? What did you cry about?
- Are you looking forward to the next school year?
- What’s the hardest part about going to school?
- What should a parent do when their children don’t obey?
- If you could have any animal as a pet which would you choose?
- Would you like to hear your parents to tell you they love you more often?
- What embarrasses you the most?
- Is it ever OK to call someone names?
- If you could take a family vacation any place in the world, where would you go?
- How would you describe God?
- Do you think it’s more important to be rich or kind?
- If you had three wishes, what would they be? (You’re not allowed to wish for money or another wish!)
- How many children would you like to have one day?
- If you were the parent, what lesson would you like to help your mom and dad learn?
- Do you know how much your family loves you? How can you tell?