You want your kids to be the best they can be, right? And you want them to live extraordinary lives? Well, you are their most influential model. If you want your kids to be the best they can be, you need to be the best you can be! You need to live the life you want your kids to live.
So, are you reaching your full potential? When your kids look at you, do they see someone who is living life to the fullest, being an awesome man and a wonderful dad? If not, what is holding you back? Is there something you have always wanted to do but have never gotten around to? Do you have gifts you aren’t using? Can you be a more inspiring force in your kids’ lives? Right now is the time to engage in some intentional fathering. Here are 35 ways to be the most interesting man in your child’s life.
1. Run a 5K or half marathon—maybe even a full marathon.
2. Complete the “50 Push-Up Challenge.” (There are a few different versions, but most have you increasing from under 10 pushups a day to 50 in one set at the end of 30 days.)
3. Commit to losing a set amount of weight.
4. Engage with your coworkers by having your workplace participate in the National Bike Challenge by riding as much as possible in May.
5. Go skydiving.
6. Take a whitewater rafting trip.
7. Volunteer to build a house with Habitat for Humanity.
8. Participate in an improv class.
9. Go on a deep sea fishing trip.
10. Volunteer at a local homeless shelter for a day.
11. Go to an open audition to be an extra in a movie or TV show.
12. Go to a local laundromat and pay for people’s laundry for a day.
13. Take ballroom dancing lessons with your wife.
14. Learn to play the guitar.
15. Take a cooking class.
16. Learn to surf.
17. Learn a second language.
18. Take martial arts classes.
19. Earn a degree or certification.
20. Build a backyard fire pit.
21. Restore an old car, truck, or motorcycle.
22. Write a book.
23. Build a gazebo.
24. Build a piece of furniture for your house.
25. Start a side business.
26. Do a home renovation project.
Be part of something.
27. Start an All Pro Dad chapter at your kids’ school.
28. Sign up to coach one of your kids’ sports teams.
29. Run for a local political office to help improve your community.
31. Join or start a Bible study.
32. Get a dog and train it to be a therapy dog.
33. Start a garage band with a group of friends.
34. Become a volunteer firefighter.
35. Start or join a volunteer group in your community.
Tips for Success
- Involve your kids as much as possible. If they can’t participate with you, share your progress and results with them.
- If it’s long-term, set some goals for yourself to make sure you stay on track.
- Choose something that is possible, but will get you out of your comfort zone.
- If you’re married, make sure your wife is on board with your choice, especially if it requires a large time commitment.
Earn some points: Are you married? If so, share iMOM’s fun weekend activities with your wife: 101 Weekend Family Activities.
Sound off: What will you do to become more awesome?
Huddle Up Question
Huddle up with your kids and ask, “If your teacher asked you to write about what makes me interesting, what would you write?”