Tom Landry, coach of the Dallas Cowboys for almost three decades, said, “The job of a football coach is to make men do what they don’t want to do in order to achieve what they’ve always wanted to be.” The same is true of being a parent. Your children don’t always want to do what you tell them, but, if you’re thoughtful about the rules you set and the expectations you have of them, they can achieve what they ultimately want to be. Stay the course. One day, they’ll thank you for it.
Here are our top 10 favorite quotes from Tom Landry.
1. “Today, you have 100% of your life left.”
2. “I’ve learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.”
3. “A winner never stops trying.”
4. “If you are prepared, you will be confident, and will do the job.”
5. “When you want to win a game, you have to teach. When you lose a game, you have to learn.”
6. “Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.”
7. “The secret to winning is constant, consistent management.”
8. “A coach is someone who tells you what you don’t want to hear, who has you see what you don’t want to see, so you can be who you have always known you could be.”
9. “Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you’re in control, they’re in control.”
10. “The quality of a man’s life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.”
Huddle Up Question
Can you remember something you didn’t want to do that you did anyway and now are glad you did?